Akrofoum is a community in the Assin South district of Ghana. According to the community register the population is 2195, of which 1,249 are children. Akrofoum has a kindergarten, a primary school and a junior high school. The closest senior high school is 11 km away.
- The community does not have a primary health care centre. It is located 2 km away.
- The community has access to a safe water point.
The community has been working with ICI since September 2015.
- Child labour and child protection awareness raising sessions have been organized for community leaders and community members.
- Community Child Protection Committee (CCPC) members have been trained on the tool for identifying children at risk of child labour and remediation packages available for identified children and their households.
- Implementation of Community Action Plan (CAP) is underway with active participation of community members and the Municipal assembly.
- Community protective assessment data collection was carried out in the community to aid in determining the level of protection of children and the community members’ knowledge, attitude and practice towards children.
- Needs assessments were undertaken to identify the livelihood needs of women and households at risk of child labour.
- A Community Service Group in the community is still providing labour services to farmers. The group has invested GHC2210 through their work
- 27 beneficiaries made up of 25 women and 2 men are undertaking literacy and numeracy classes. This is being carried out in collaboration the Non-Formal Education Division (NFED) in the district.
- Community Needs Assessment has been conducted using the Protective Cocoa Community Framework (PCCF) approach.
- Livelihood support through vegetable IGA has been provided for 17 women and 1 man in the community in okro, pepper and ginger production.
- Training on record keeping, savings, financial and conflict management, occupational health and safety have been given to IGA members to build their capacity.
- 8 SMC members in the community have been trained on school governance.
- Child Protection Club (CPC) members in the community participated in a quiz in Assin Fosu on child protection and child rights.
- 6 children made up of 4 girls and 2 boys) have been enrolled in vocational training. They were supported with the required tools, enrollment fees and are also receiving monthly stipends.
- 18 beneficiaries engaged in vegetable IGA have made GHC8,220 extra income from the sale of their produce.
- The parents of 2 children identified to be at risk of child labour have been absolved into the IGA programme
- The Community Service Group in the community has made a total of GHC3,615 working with farmers on their farms.
- Community Members have come together to mechanize their borehole.
- Withe the help of the Ghana Education Service (GES) and the district assembly, the community is benefiting from the School Feeding programme.
- ICI in partnership Non-Formal Education Division (NFED) have organised Literacy and numeracy lessons for 27 people in the community.
- The community with support from ICI and district authorities have come out with rules and regulation to guide their activities.
- The community have rented a 4-bedroom apartment to start a CHPS compound
- The commun ity has also constructed a wooden structure to serve as canteen for the primary school
- A 2-unit KG block has constructed by ICI for the community