About the Community
The Kramokrom community in the Sefwi Wiawso district of Ghana has been working with ICI since September 2015. The community has a population of 520 according to latest estimates; a kindergarten and primary school serve the community.
- The closest primary health centre is located 6 km away from the community.
- The community has access to a safe water point.
Actions by ICI
- Child labour and child protection awareness raising has been conducted in Kramokrom. These classes form an essential part of ICI’s intervention in a community.
- As a next step a Community Child Protection Committee has been set up. CCPC members then received training on ICI’s awareness raising methods. The members take over awareness raising responsibility and go house-to-house to ensure the message is spread.
- A Community Action Plan (CAP) has been developed in the community. Led by the CCPC members, a community wide consultation was conducted and necessary developments within the community were agreed upon.
- The CAP included the construction of a new classroom for Kramokrom’s school.
Actions by ICI
- Training: CCPC members will be trained on how to implement the CAP and on child labour monitoring.
- Women’s empowerment: Women’s groups will be formed to build leadership skills and enhance the role of women in community development.
- Education: Non-formal classes will be organised for women groups’ youth and older children who are not in school, allowing them to learn basic numeracy and literacy skills.
- Child Protection Clubs: Clubs will be formed to build upon awareness of child protection and child rights.
- Community Service Groups: Members will receive training on farm sanitation including weeding, pruning, moss removal from cocoa trees. These skills will then be applied to assist cocoa farmers, reducing the need to use children as labour.