The Ghanaian community of Okakro has a population of 1,369. The community has a primary school.
- The closest primary health centre is 6km away.
- The community has access to a safe water point.
- A Community Child Protection Committee (CCPC) has been set up in the community. The CCPC currently has five members who receive training on awareness raising methods and subsequently conduct community outreach on child labour.
- Ten members of the community have received training on farming techniques and have formed a Community Service Group (CSG). The CSG receives equipment from ICI that enables them to assist local farmers on their farms on a credit based system of payment.
- A one hectare plot of manioc was planted. 60 women from the community joined a newly created income generating group and received training and equipment to cultivate the plot.
- Two classrooms have been constructed in the community school to expand the capacity. 45 desks and two teachers’ offices will also be built.
- A facilitator is being trained to conduct bridging classes in the community. Bridging classes are designed to allow children who have been kept out of school or missed classes to catch up with their peers.
- Two offices will be built for teachers and 45 tables and benches provided for the school.